Science and poetry both tell us that water is essential for life. Water quality is an important issue, but not one that people may much attention to, until it becomes a problem. Chlorine removal and water softener and whole house filtration systems make sure that the water you use for drinking, cooking, bathing and cleaning is clean, without any harmful residues. The reverse osmosis process is a versatile and widely used method of water filtration. It removes large particles and impurities from water to make it suitable for drinking and other purposes.
Water is essential for survival Continue Reading →
The time of the Wild West holds immense allure to modern America, and the historic individuals from that time have gained mythic stature in modern consciousness. Few images are more symbolic of that era than the cowboy on his horse, or sitting by a fire at night. The modern reality of the cowboy is more work than leisurely rides, and these days that horse might be an ATV. What Americans think of as cowboys are ranch hands, or even ranch owners, and if you are considering buying a ranch, you hopefully already realize how much work is involved in operating one. There are multiple ways to use ranch property, however, and not all of them include cowboys. Below are three of those options to consider.
- The Functioning Ranch: This option is the traditional, Continue Reading →
Whether or not you live in a small town, a big city, or anywhere in between, your safety is important. Having good locking systems can do more than just protect you, your family, and your belongings, it can also give you peace of mind, knowing that everything is secure. It doesn’t matter if your locking systems are also connected to security alarms and cameras outside your house or if it’s a simpler system — you want to know that things are protected once you leave the house or come home at night. And you also want to be secure in the knowledge that your family knows how to properly use it and what to do should there be an emergency. It’s always good to have a plan of action and numbers to call, just in case. Your locking system doesn’t have cost an exorbitant amount of money to be high quality, but y Continue Reading →
You may or may not be surprised to find out that on average, Americans collectively go through almost 20 billion garments a year. Per person that equals out to 68 pieces of clothing and seven pairs of shoes, which is more than one piece of clothing bought each week. If we are able to buy that many new things there’s no reason we couldn’t give away that many old things. However, giving donations is more then getting rid of your old things. While uncluttering and downsizing is a good opportunity for donating, there are a lot more benefits to donating. American Red Cross donations, for example, could always use clothes donations and blood as well as money. Here are the positive effects of giving to charity.
Research shows that people who donate a portion of their belongi Continue Reading →
The trip downtown was eye opening. The family of four attended the 7:00 pm Christmas Eve service and then decided to travel downtown Omaha to see the holiday lights. The more than 10,000 lights were installed and turned on the Friday after Thanksgiving, but a month later the family had still not made the visit they had made every other holiday season.
Dressed in their holiday best, including knee high boots with low heels, the two teenage girls were anxious to walk in the snow, get their pictures taken, and enjoy the lighted walkways and bridges. Just a few minutes from the car, however, the girls were surprised by what they saw. A family with three small children were also walking downtown, but they were not dressed nearly as nice. Still laughing and having a blast, this family of five ended up on the ma Continue Reading →
Many people do not like to think about what they are going to do when they retire. Most people prefer to think that they will be able to live out the rest of their lives in their home. For nearly half of all retirees (48%), retirement is a lot more enjoyable than they expected. A lot of people live better lives in retirement communities than anyplace else. If you or your loved ones are considering making the move to a retirement community, here are some things to think about before making this very important decision.
Tips to Picking the Right Retirement Community:
We all like the idea of giving back to the communities where we live. For many of us, the main thing that keeps us from doing this is that we just do not have the resources to make monetary donations. The good news is that we can do a lot for our fellow citizens by donating our time or our belongings. Many charities accept clothing donations, for example. If we cannot bring out items to the non-profit there are many charities that pick up donations.
The Benefits of Making Clothes Donations
- People can really use donated clothing. You may hate that green shirt you bought last year but someone else may be able to use it. You have probably heard of the phrase, “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure”, right? That same principle applies to your used clothing. This is especially true for the clothing your kids have grown out of. About 80% of clothing that has been donated goes directly towards helping families in need. Whether you bring it in yourself or find charities that pick up donations, you will make a direct difference in the lives of people in your community. Consider donating winter coats that your family can no longer wear. These items are always needed.
- It is great for the environment. Americans throw out about 12 tons of clothes and fabrics every year. Nearly 90% of that could be used by someone else. This means 12 tons of material would not be sent to landfills where it does no one any good. The clothes that are recycled this way keep someone from buying a new item and therefore a new one does not have to be made. The more items we can keep out of landfills, the better.
- It helps the economy. The unemployment rate in the United States is on the decline but that does not mean everyone who wants work has been able to find it. The unemployment rate for veterans is appallingly high, it hovers somewhere around 20.4% for veterans between the ages of 18 and 24. For all veterans that number is lower, it is about 10%, this is still much higher than the general national average. Recycling textiles and clothing was responsible for adding 17,000 jobs to the Unites States economy. When you donate your used clothing, you make this possible.
- It helps you become more organized. If you live in a region with actual seasons, organization experts recommend you go through your closet twice a year. Take out the clothes that have gone unworn for at least two seasons (two winters or two summers). Take out the clothes that no longer fit you. If you have lost weight, getting rid of your “fat clothes” will help you keep the weight off. Planning to give to charities that pick up donations, if you have a pick up time scheduled, that will give you a deadline to be ready for, will make you do that spring cleaning you may have been putting off.
- Build unity at work with a clothing drive. Contact area charities that pick up donations, schedule a pick up. Tell all your coworkers (and customers or clients if you have them) that you are holding a clothing drive and have everyone bring in their unwanted clothes. This will be a great way for your office to come together and maybe even get some good press coverage from the whole thing. Promote this on your social media channels.
- Save money on your taxes. Remember that any donation you make to a charity is tax deductible. If your donation is worth more than $250, you will need a receipt. Some people do not realize that item donations are viewed as the same as cash.
It is often a lot easier than you may think to make a big difference in the lives of people in your community. Even if you cannot donate money, you can always volunteer your time or your unwanted clothing. Unlike other things, these clothes will be used by someone and they will be very thankful for your generosity.
Master planned communities are areas that are planned in careful detail right from the first idea all the way through to its construction. For the most part, master planned communities are built in places that are more under developed.
Master planned communities specifically, are residential and normally involved a lot of recreational activity areas like kids play area, parks, golf courses, areas to go jogging or hiking, scenic lakes and ponds, etc.
Now that you know a little more about these types of living areas, let’s focus on the potential benefits.
- One of the great things about a planned community is that when it is first formulated, it is done with more in mind than the usual neighborhood. Planned communities are planned in great detail without the neighborhoo Continue Reading →
Everyone ages, there’s no stopping it. Fortunately, there are organizations, like nursing homes, set up to help care for the elderly when they need it. After all, about seven out of ten people in the U.S. will need long-term care once they’re over the age of 65. And because people are living longer, the population of people needing long-term care and services offered by nursing homes is growing rapidly. In today’s world, if someone is fortunate enough to live to the age of 65, they have a high likelihood of living an average of another 18.5 years! That’s huge, considering that in 1960, those who reached 65 years of age were only projected to live another 4 years or so.
Nursing homes are a great alternative to hiring live-in care or hospice. Continue Reading →
Oriental rugs, also known as knotted-pile rugs, have been estimated to have been around since the 2nd millennium BC. They originated from and are still primarily produced in the ‘Rug Belt’, a section of eastern/middle eastern countries stretching from Morocco to Northern India and including places such Northern China, Tibet, Turkey, Iran, India, Pakistan, etc. Decorating with oriental rugs is popular due to the unique designs and durability of the rugs. However, they are very expensive and require a lot of upkeep in order to last for the recommended time.
Wool and silk are the two basic materials used in Oriental rug-making. There exist 100 % authentic wool and silk, and also imitatio Continue Reading →