5 Tips for Finding the Right Custom Home Builder for Your Needs
There are a number of reasons that more and more people who are looking to buy a home are looking to new or custom built houses. The benefits to going this route include being able to avoid any home remodeling that is often needed with existing homes, getting homes that are more energy efficient and the ability to get exactly the home that people want. These new homes are also ready to move in sooner than existing homes, which may need some work done before the new owners can get in. If this sounds like you, there are some ways to get the right custom home builder for your project. Here are some tips for weeding out the custom home builders you do not want to hire and to find the right company to design and build the home of your dreams:
- Think about what you want. It is hard for any of the custom home builders to design and construct the home you really want and need if you are not sure what that is. Spend some time thinking about why you want a new home in the first place. Are you considering starting a family? Do you have children who are grown leaving you needing less space? How many bedrooms and bathrooms do you think you will need? If you love to cook (or bake) you may want to build a bigger kitchen. It is possible that you will not get all of the things on your wish list but unless you are clear on what you need and want, there is no way any new home builders will make you happy with the result. The last thing you want is to build a custom home to avoid needing renovations and then have to do a kitchen remodeling project right after you move in.
- Go with local custom home builders. There are a number of reasons for this. Local companies, especially those with a long track record, are going to care more about their reputation in the community. For example, if you live in Chattanooga, Tennessee, you will want to start your search for custom home builders with a search for, “Chattanooga home builders.” Another bonus from talking to local companies is that you can visit and look at some of the projects they have worked on. You want to make sure you like the work the company has done for people in the area.
- Get references. Good custom home builders have a lot of happy clients that they will be happy for you to talk to. Some people think that it is enough to just look at the website for a company and review the testimonials they have there. These can be old and may not be real. It is important to talk to people who have worked with the company. If you talk to them, ask more than just, “did you like them?” Ask what it was like to work with them, if they would hire them again and if they have any recommendations for working with the staff. The more you can learn about the company, the better.
- Make sure they have the right licenses and insurance. Before you start talking to custom home builders, you need to find out what the rules and regulations are for your area. If contractors need to have a special license, you need to make sure the company you hire has that. They also need to have enough insurance. You need to do your due diligence and verify whatever they tell you. If they do not have the right or enough insurance and something goes wrong during the building of your home, you can be held liable for it.
- Make sure you get the right permits. Again, you need to check up to see what those are before you hire anyone or before any work gets started. While most contractors do take care of any permits that are needed, if they do not, you will be left holding the bag and will be responsible for any fines.
Building a custom home can be a lot of fun, finding the right company will make that very possible.